General Account Support
Creating an account
If you're part of a UK institution that provides research and innovation resources to the academic and industrial community, you can register your resources as research and innovation infrastructures on the InfraPortal.
- Click on ’Register’ in the top right-hand corner, or “Register Now” if you are coming via “Register My Infrastructure”.
- Fill out the details in the form provided. A one-time login link will be sent to you by email, Use it to login and set a password
- If your team is already registered, ask your team members to add you to the group (see adding new members), otherwise see the ‘create new group’ section of this guide. Once you have successfully created and accessed your account, you will be able to create a page for your Infrastructure.
Resetting an account password
To reset an account password:
1. Click ‘Log in’ in the top right-hand corner of the website
2. Select the ‘Reset your password’ tab
3. Fill in the form with your username or email address
4. Password reset instructions will then be sent to your registered email address
Cancelling or deleting your account
If you no longer use the InfraPortal or are no longer affiliated to any RII then you may wish to cancel your account.
- Login to the website and select ‘My account’ from the user menu located in the top right-hand corner of the website.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and click ‘delete account’. Confirm by clicking delete account again on the next page
- You will receive an email providing a link to cancel your account Please note: after clicking on this link your request has been completed and it cannot be undone.
- After clicking on this link, you will receive another email confirming that your account has been deleted. If you’d like for us to remove all your user data completely, please contact us at email@example.com
Creating a group
Any new content added to the InfraPortal needs to be assigned to a group. The first step to creating content is to first create the group in which the content will sit.
- Once you have logged in, click on “Groups” from the user Menu
- Click on “Add Group” found at the top left of the page.
- Enter a name and click the “Create infrastructure group and become a member” button. You will automatically be added as a member to any group you create.
- Once you have created your group, you will see the following group overview page. From here, you can add Infrastructures and Members to your group. Please see “Registering A New Infrastructure” and “Add a Member to a Group” sections of this guide for further information and steps for these actions.
Add a member to a group
An individual must be registered on the InfraPortal before they can be added to a group. To register, please see the ‘Creating an account’ section of this guide.
After the person has registered a user account:
- Go to the Groups page by clicking the ‘Groups' link under 'User menu' in the top-right. This will display a list of groups that you are a member of:
- Click the group to which you’d like to add a new member to.
- Click the “Add Member” button.
- Enter in the username of the person you’d like to add and click “Save”.
Registering a new infrastructure
Please see the “About” page for further information on the content hosted by this website. Please note, you must register an account with InfraPortal and create a group before you can add Infrastructure content to the site.
1. Once you have created your Group (please see “Creating a Group” section of this guide), you can create content to register your Infrastructure. If you are logging into the system to do this. log in and, select “Groups” in the user menu
2. If you need to register the infrastructure under a new group, click the “Add group” button found at the top left of the page, otherwise click on the group name you want to add it to.
3. Click on Add Infrastructure found at the bottom left of the page.
4. Fill out the form that appears. There is help text under each box describing what to enter. Take a look at some existing entries on the portal for inspiration, particularly keywords, or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org if you're unsure about what to put.
5. When you're finished, scroll to the bottom and select 'Submitted for approval' from the dropdown options to submit the information for approval and publication.
If you would like to finish editing the content later, select 'Save draft' and click 'Save'. Once you are ready to submit, change the status to ‘Submitted for approval’ for approval and publication.
6. Once submitted, you will be taken to your group page. A green banner will indicate this action has been successful and will now display the newly entered Infrastructure under “Infrastructures”
You can view your infrastructure page by clicking its name. A page showing your infrastructure, will look something like the below.
All infrastructures submitted to the site will display in a pink text box prior to publication. Once submitted, your infrastructure will be reviewed by a member of the UKRI Infrastructure Team. Once approved, your infrastructure will be publicly visible and look something like the below. You will receive an email once the response has been made.
On your groups page, the moderation state column in your Infrastructures table will show the current stage in the approval process, such as submitted for approval, approved, or more information requested. If the status column says unpublished, then the entry is not yet publicly visible. If it says published, then it is visible. Once an entry has been approved by the InfraPortal team it will automatically become published.
Please note: once your infrastructure has been approved, you will be required to confirm the information is up to date once for each subsequent year that it remains published. In addition, access to your account will be required to edit any information uploaded to the InfraPortal.
Managing your infrastructure
1. You can access the infrastructure management page by clicking on 'Infrastructures' in the User menu.
2. The Infrastructure management page lists all infrastructure managed by groups you are member of. In order, it displays:
- The name of the infrastructure
- A link to the infrastructure entry, where you can view and edit the entry.
- A link to the group the infrastructure is managed by.
- The email receiving notifications regarding the infrastructure (eg. approval notification, update request)
- The moderation state of the infrastructure
You can search trough your infrastructures by infrastructure name or group name, using the searchboxes on top of the page.
Editing an existing infrastructure
- Once logged in, click the Infrastructures” link under 'User menu' in the top right:
- Click on the infrastructure you wish to make edits to and then select the edit tab on the Infrastructure page:
- Review and edit any details in the form and click save at the bottom of the page. You can also preview your changes if you wish.
- If the update has been successful, you will be notified by the green banner at the top of the page
Please note, you will need to set a notification email which will receive all notifications such as confirmation of approval and update requests.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I remove an existing infrastructure?
If you wish to remove specific RIIs from the site, you will need to contact the InfraPortal team. Please contact email@example.com with the details of your request.
To remove all uploaded information, including your user account, please follow the ‘cancelling or deleting your account’ section of this guide.
How do I respond to an information update request?
- Click ‘Log in’ in the top right-hand corner of the website and add your log in credentials.
- Go to User menu and select Infrastructures. This page will display all your infrastructures and their associated groups. See the “Infrastructure Management” section of this guide for more information about this page and its functions.
- Click on the name of the infrastructure you need to update.
- Click on the Edit tab
- Review and update the infrastructure submission form and click save at the bottom of the form.
How do I transfer group ownership between accounts?
If you are the only member of the group, the best way to transfer ownership of a group between accounts is to add the new user to the existing infrastructure group by following the ‘Adding a member to a group’ section of this guide. Once the member has been added, you can then remove yourself from the group and cancel your user account.
After you’ve added the new user:
- To remove yourself from the group, log into the website and select Groups from the user menu in the top right.
- Click on the group name and under ‘Members’, in the ‘operations’ column, select the arrow next to ‘Edit Relation’ and click on ‘Delete relation’
- You will then be presented with a confirmation page to remove your group membership. Select ‘Delete’ to confirm.
Please note, once completed this operation cannot be reversed.
How do I delete a group?
To delete a group, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org from your registered email account with the name of the group you wish to delete.
How do I transfer infrastructure ownership between accounts?
It is not currently possible to transfer RIIs between different groups. If you have erroneously linked your RII to the wrong group, or you wish to move it to a different group, you will need to contact the InfraPortal team to complete this action on your behalf.
Please contact email@example.com with the details of your request.
How can I search effectively?
If you're unable to find what you're looking for, this brief guide will help explain how the search and filters work.
You can search the website by inputting information into the search bar below found on the homepage, map page and at the top of our search results landing page.
To make it easier to find institutions, the search checks lots of different information to best match your search terms. Our search feature not only searches for infrastructure names but also keywords, disciplines and economic sector.
This means that if you search "Bristol University" for example, the results returned will display:
- Institutions with "Bristol University" in the title
- Institutions with "Bristol" in the title
- Institutions that reference "Bristol University" in the description
- Institutions that reference Bristol in the description
- Institutions that reference University in the description
- Institutions based in the Bristol area
Once you search, the dropdown menus on the left allow you to filter the search results.
The filters are inclusive, so if you were to select Agriculture and Forestry, it would return Institutes in Agriculture, or Forestry, or Both Agriculture and Forestry.
If you still can’t find what you’re looking for, or need to find smaller pieces of equipment, please look at our selection of other resource catalogues.