Data science - Intelligent and effective use of data
From mapping the spread of disease to monitoring climate change, data holds the key to solving some of the world's biggest challenges. It also promises to deliver improved productivity, helping companies streamline their processes, make improvements and maximise their output. Dependable decisions rely on understanding the provenance and reliability of data.
Our data scientists are working to help organisations analyse and use data with confidence. We are developing data standards and platforms to help collect, connect and comprehend data. We are creating the future tools to analyse datasets, and allow the fusion of disparate datasets to deliver more powerful information. We also evaluate uncertainty to support reliable decision-making.
Our research has a focus on:
- Data analytics and modelling: developing techniques to improve modelling and analytics, enabling predictions and decisions to be made with confidence
- Data provenance and standards: developing standards for data quality and provenance, to ensure data can be applied effectively to diverse applications
- Data science for the SI: improving the traceability of data for realising and defining the SI units, and the international intercomparison of measurements
- Data science for advanced manufacturing: helping manufacturers use data to improve the efficiency and flexibility of processes, and apply new technologies with confidence
- Data science for energy and environment: providing reliable analysis and modelling to help guide action to mitigate climate change and pollution, and to improve the robustness and flexibility of our power networks
- Data science for life sciences and health: helping to provide confidence in data on which new diagnosis and treatment innovations are built
- Biometrics: developing methodologies for evaluating the performance of biometric systems
NPL, as the UK's National Measurement Institute, is the prime deliverer of the UK Measurement Strategy. NPL is a world-leading centre of excellence in developing and applying the most accurate measurement standards, science and technology available. For more than a century, NPL has developed and maintained the nation's primary measurement standards. These standards underpin an infrastructure of traceability throughout the UK and the world that ensures accuracy and consistency of measurement.
Keywords: Data Science, Data analytics, Data provenance, Sensor networks, Machine learning, Uncertainty quantification, Trusted software, Informatics, Uncertainty.