Biometrology - measuring biological systems to support the development of new bioproducts and services
NPL, as the UK's National Measurement Institute, is the prime deliverer of the UK Measurement Strategy. NPL is a world-leading centre of excellence in developing and applying the most accurate measurement standards, science and technology available. For more than a century, NPL has developed and maintained the nation's primary measurement standards. These standards underpin an infrastructure of traceability throughout the UK and the world that ensures accuracy and consistency of measurement.
We work with industry to help translate innovation into new technologies and applications in sectors ranging from biotechnology and drug development to agriculture and smart materials. Translating research into advanced treatments and cost-effective products relies on reproducibility, repeatability, traceability and comparability of measurement results. To realise this, we develop reference materials and methods for biological and physical parameters. NPL plays a leading role in supporting UK's position as a world leader in translating life sciences research, accelerating access to new diagnosis and treatment techniques, and helping to support rapid adoption of advanced healthcare technologies across the country.
Within the Life Sciences and Health sector, NPL focuses on major sector-specific technical and measurement priorities, as identified with the industry and UK Government (BEIS):
- Accelerate innovation and access to new drugs and therapies, lower-cost medical devices and technologies
- Support implementation of engineering biology and advanced manufacturing technologies
- Increase the confidence and reproducibility in diagnosis and treatment efficacy
- Increase use of better-quality life sciences and health data
We develop cutting edge measurement tools and methods with an impact on real-world applications and quality of life, such as:
- Developing new measurement tools in the fight against antimicrobial resistance supporting the synthetic biology industry to engineer and validate new tools and technologies, such as 3D and organoid cultures.
- Quantifying intra- and extra-cellular processes to bring advanced medicinal products to market faster in the fight against cancer.
- Leading international metrology activities in the emerging area of biometrology for cell and gene therapy applications.
Keywords: Biometrology: Synthetic biology, Engineering biology, Regenerative medicine, Cell and gene therapy, Biology reference materials, Antimicrobial resistance, Drug discovery, medicines manufacturing, structure/function, Bio-imaging, chemical imaging, particles, nanoparticles, cell biology, biophysics, diagnostics
Get in Touch
020 8977 3222